The Lake Williams area was first made popular when the train brought visitors from New York City to vacation at local farms and at the resort at Williams Pond. The pond was enlarged as clay was excavated to supply a local brickyard. Today, the pond is called Lake Williams and the Spa at Grand Lake is still operating at the southern end of the lake.
This aerial view of Lebanon’s Grand Lake Lodge was taken in 1948. It was a popular resort on Route 207 across from Lake Williams until partially destroyed by fire around 1976. Now rebuilt, the resort continues as a spa.